Monday, February 27, 2012

Society of Illustrators Talk

Tamaki talking about how her hometown of Calgary loves hockey.

I went to go see Lisa Hanawalt, Jillian Tamaki, and Eleanor Davis talk at the society on Thursday. I have to admit...I attended it to see Tamaki talk, because she's one of my favorite illustrators, but I'm glad to have heard Hanawalt and Davis! Davis, in particular, was touching since she spoke about her personal struggles with being an artist. I found her comment, on how finding out that she could indeed live without making art frightened her, profound. I definitely understand the struggle that she described. Oh and she lived in Japan for a year, which is awesome. Tamaki's talk was helpful--apparently she is always trying out new methods and styles--and she's funny!
It's great to see talented people living the dream.

No comments: